June 26, 2011

etsy, etsy, read all about it!

Mallory and I opened up our etsy! I still have tons of stuff to upload, but its kind of a longer process than I expected. I find it difficult to come up with prices and shipping costs, descriptions and tags. A lot of work, but a lot of fun so far. A great bonding experience with my best friend, living a dream we both once shared of opening a clothing store called Glovebox. We even wrote a business plan for our store in a business class we took together, fresh out of high school. After seeing the numbers- yikes! A virtual store is a lot cheaper and easier to manage.

Anyway, super exciting! Two sales within 24 hours of opening up shop!  I don't at all expect that to continue, but  it was fun to get excited texts from Mallory and Eric while I was at work! "DID YOU SEE? WE SOLD OUR FIRST ITEM!" "TWO SALES, BABE!"


But now it comes time to ship, and I am nervous! Is it cheaper to buy some of the post office boxes/envelopes or bring my own? If anyone else has an etsy out there and wants to give me advice on how they go about the shipping process, I would appreciate it! I am planning on just bringing the items and some boxes and holding up the everlong post office line by chatting up the folks behind the counter for their opinion. I guess I am mostly nervous becuse one item is going to the UK, so I dont know what to expect in charges. 

Check out our shop if you feel intriqued- some real little gems in there I am having a hard time parting with!



3 comments:

  1. oooh, i am so EXCITED for you guys. i saw your sales too, i was even reporting to darin! ashley i can talk for miles about shipping. it's confusing depending on weight, sometimes it is cheaper to ship in their "priority flat rate" packages (you don't even have to buy them, they just give them to you). but i have found it is often cheaper if you just package it up tightly and carefully as possible with recycled paper bags. I wrap my stuff in tissue or cute fabric, tie with a ribbon or lace, include a little postcard or something with a personal note, and then wrap all that up with brown paper and packing tape. i've never had a problem with that and try to use recylced materials as much as possible.

    the international ones are easy too, they just require a little customs tag. i have a big old stack of those so i don't have to hold up the line filling it in at the p.o. the "zone" makes a difference in pricing but just slightly i think. uk isn't too bad, but the dresses you sold both look a bit heavy, so i hope you charged at least $10.

    sorry to write a book here! i'm so excited for you guys and can't wait to see what you upload next. if you are around town today come see me at bookery and we can talk more shipping stuff if you'd like. becky's way is more streamlined, she prints the info at home and has her own scale i think. you might wanna ask her; i think it's pretty efficient.

    much love and luck to you ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still learning about all the shipping as well, but all I know is that it comes down to weight. I've been trying to use usps website for help a lot.
    Congrats ladies!
    nikki

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the advice, Heather! I ended up wrapping the domestic package in some paper bag like you suggested, and then chatted with the guy (can you believe i was the only one at that post office on a monday at 11?!) and ended up buying a 99 cent envelope for the uk package. I feel a lot better now that my first ones are on their way to their new homes.

    also, ill talk to you more about it later, as i dont know if you will get this response, but i picked up a really awesome set of books at the camino thrift store with you in mind. i kind of fell in love with them, but i want to share them with you soon!

    ReplyDelete

share a thought!

 
oh, tender! - Blogger Templates, Wordpress Templates Free - by Templates para novo blogger HD TV Watch Entourage Online. Featured on Local Business Singapore