March 21, 2011

monday's child is fair of face,

Another lazy day around the house here. Spring has sprung, but we have yet to see the sun! Lots and lots of wet weather lately.  On Friday, we even got some low snow- El Dorado (where I live) even got an inch! I was at work when it started, and I stayed longer than I probably should have. I barely got up the driveway. But once I got home, Eric and I just sat at the window with our coffee, watching the snowflakes get bigger and bigger. So lovely.

I think if you click on this, it would be easier to see the beautiful HUGE snowflakes!
It was also nice to come home a little early.  Also, yesterday was so darn blustery, Sara felt that it would be pretty slow and if I wanted the day off, I could. I took her up on that, and did a lot of studying. Looks like there is going to be a lot more days like these coming up. But the few glimpses of spring that we got have stolen my heart.

Today was another day spent inside, buried in papers scribbled with formulas for hyperbolas and drawings of cell dividing. Eric was home with me, and we took a few breaks together to do some cleaning and baking together. I love rainy days for that reason.


We each made a loaf of bread in a different style from the same starter. Most of the time, Eric's bread or yeast doesn't yield anything, and I always tell him its because he never follows a recipe. I feel like I always followed a recipe at least the first time I make something new until I get a grasp of what it takes to make something tasty. THEN you can adjust. So, I made my bread strictly from a recipe, and he made his from his heart.




Guess which one is mine? If you think its that beautiful golden one in the back, behind the pale lump in front, then you're WRONG!  Dang! His turned out a delicious artisan bread, complete with flavors of sauteed garlic, rosemary, black pepper and a perfectly crunchy crust. Mine is a monster- one that will probably only serve as a quick breakfast if its hidden under some jam...yikes! Totally put my foot in my mouth with the continuous 'recipe debate' in our house...The man can bake a loaf of bread. ♥

Since we bought some cod yesterday, I decided to take a page from Eric's book, and go sans recipe while cooking it for dinner. I dipped the pieces in a mix of lemon and butter, and dredged the pieces in a little flour,panko bread crumbs salt and pepper. Then I baked it and served it with jasmine rice and fresh green beans.  I also sprinkled a little of this fancy salt on the green beans! Such a different flavor! It's a lot less astringent than table salt, and more mineral flavors. Reminds me of when the sea swallowed me in Tulum- and while I was being tossed around by the tide,gasping for breath, I swallowed the sea.


Besides just cooking and cleaning, Eric also got our little spring seedlings going today! He has caught the spring fever too.  As lovely as the snow was, we have big dreams for our garden. We have visions of a thick forest of basil and shady tomato shrubs with their alluring herbaceous scent;  Towering green beans intertwined with heavenly blue morning glories, all a buzz with bumble and honey bees! I dream of a garden like we had back when we lived in Somerset.


But for now, the seeds lay in their warm beds made of egg cartons, underneath phoney sunrays until they get their second leaves.




And hopefully they do sprout, in spite of Jules' constant curiosity of the glowing light underneath the sheet...


Here is to a bountiful Spring!
xoxo

1 comment:

  1. No fair! I wish we had gotten snow, buy maybe Sacramento snow is a little too much to ask for.
    Nikki
    PS: I think BOTH breads look delicious, especially to those of us that don't know how to make bread ;)

    ReplyDelete

share a thought!

 
oh, tender! - Blogger Templates, Wordpress Templates Free - by Templates para novo blogger HD TV Watch Entourage Online. Featured on Local Business Singapore