May 20, 2011

who wears short shorts?

Yesterday, while recovering from my dental visit, I decided it was high time to get my little Singer Simple sewing machine out, and relearn how to sew. I stitched Eric a brown corduroy "manbag" in one of our first years together. It was horribly constructed, but we were both proud of my accomplishment. Then he wanted it lined with this really beautiful blue and brown paisley patterned fabric Ive carried around with me for years. That was a little too challenging. I set my machine aside while I jumped into the sea of school, only now re-surfacing to do some fun challenges rather than purely stressful ones.


After reading Nikki's blogpost, I decided that my first sewing challenge would be to shorten these high-waisted denim shorts I got at a thrift store a while back. I loved the pleating and the color and fit- they even have a little triangular cut out in the back! The problem was the length of the shorts. Almost to the knee! So flattering:


 Yikes, right?  Well, I did it.  I cracked open a beer and dusted off the machine- watched some tutorials on threading the bobbin and needle. I was so please! My plan was to hem them so they had a half-inch cuff, but....well you know that phrase "measure twice, cut once"? I measured once, and cut once. Needless to say, there was no room for a cuff, and hardly anything to be left to the imagination in these babies.




Of course, I will need to wear tights with them to keep my buns from spilling out the back, and I would lie to take them in a little bit on the sides...but pretty cute make-over, I think! I hope to do more projects like this throughout the summer, but we'll see. I know the river will beckon soon! Have you guys been doing anything crafty lately?

mustard colored shirt,shoes, shorts: thrifted
orange floral shirt: urban outfitters
tights: gift from eric
necklace: crimson and clover


xoxo

5 comments:

  1. OMG Those turned out sooo cute!! They look amazing on you!
    nikki

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree with nikki! these look completely adorbs. i wish i had longer legs and could pull off shorter shorts. actually any shorts at all!

    if my life would calm down for 5 minutes i'd try to relearn (or pre-learn, or whatever) sewing as well! my mom has tried to teach me a thousand times and i'm terrible. maybe i'll watch a bobbin tutorial as well. that's the stuff that gets me.

    can't wait to see you! summer fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. totally cute! nice! you make me want to learn to sew. instead I will sew through you. you just made those shorts look soooo much better. good work, tender.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I came here via Heather's blog...great effort on the shorts! I only really picked up sewing just over a year ago, and I've improved alot (thankfully) just remember not to be too mean to yourself about the mistakes, and breathe lots when you stitch, and take your time. Sewing is one of those things where you get better with practice. So next time, you'll totally do better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Teeny! I feel like I maybe did rush through it, excited for the final product and didn't think too much about the crotch area before snipping it up! Ive been practicing more things, like a romper and a tank, but nothing is wearable yet, really. Its fun to keep trying though!

    ReplyDelete

share a thought!

 
oh, tender! - Blogger Templates, Wordpress Templates Free - by Templates para novo blogger HD TV Watch Entourage Online. Featured on Local Business Singapore