May 23, 2011

grandmother spider

Woke up early to start getting the drip and soaker set up in our little garden.  The lavender is just beginning to show a little purple, and random seeds are peaking out, anxious to meet the sun.


 I think today, I will go buy some companion plants, as a lot of our little babies are getting eaten up by some unseen pests!  So frustrating to grow something from seed and watch it be gone in one day. Urg! I did make some organic aphid spray which seems to have worked. I haven't seen any aphids in a couple of weeks. But something else is snacking on the lettuce, cucumber, flower babies and basil.  I do have a little helper in the garden when it comes to insect control:


Do you see her?


What about now?


There she is! I've been watching her grow right along side of the plants for a month or so. Every morning, she accompanies me while I water. She watches over the little plants, probably controlling the larger insects since she's such a big gal. I've been trying to identify her- maybe a "wolf" or "sac" spider? She doesn't run, just sits patiently amongst the plants (unless the drops of water get a little too close!). She is so amazingly big and beautiful-I feel so blessed that she made our little garden her stomping grounds.

3 comments:

  1. yeah, that's why i live in the city.
    nikki

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOODNESS! what a gorgeous goddess of a creature. i love that you called this post "spider grandmother" in honor of that larger sense of connection, and to think that little creature is truly such an incredible part of it all. i love your perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i actually love you til death do us part

    ReplyDelete

share a thought!

 
oh, tender! - Blogger Templates, Wordpress Templates Free - by Templates para novo blogger HD TV Watch Entourage Online. Featured on Local Business Singapore