April 6, 2011

things I have been doing instead of studying:

So, I have a pretty big test tomorrow night. True, I have been spending a few good hours here and there practicing some problems for it, but truthfully, I just can't bring myself to sit down and study like I ought to. Maybe its the weather outside, or how long I have been torturing myself with classes toward a major I'm not even sure of. Maybe its how awful my teacher is, and the lack of respect I have for her. I think it's probably all of it, honestly. I am definitely going to take a break from school and go on some adventures this summer, and work hard through the harvest season. But for now, here is a peak of how I have been 'wasting' my time: 

1. Making some of the best food we have ever had!
Seriously folks. We made the freshest chicken tacos the other night- so amazing. We are going to invite people over (maybe Cinco De Mayo?) and have a BBQ on the lawn and eat more of these puppies. Also, it was scary how damn good Pacifico tasted.

I think the secret is the fresh herbs Eric brought home from our old garden at his parents' house, and lemon juice. You fillet and tenderize the chicken, season it with some spices (cumin, red and black pepper- but not salt yet!) and herbs (we used fresh oregano) and let it sit while you sip on a beer on the porch and get the bbq hot. When the grill is ready, toss the chicken and onion slices on (gotta have grilled onions and/or peppers!). When the chicken is nearly finished cooking (it cooks fast!) you squirt lemon juice on and sprinkle a little salt. We fried up our own shells and had some salsa, lettuce, black beans and tomatoes with it. Delicioso!



Eric's Mom gave me these place mats- kinda weird that they look like my kitties?!

2. Going green!
I can't wait until the frost danger is over so I can put my babies in the ground! So far, we got some of the 'lawn' mowed,and I have been weeding the beds like crazy. I also bought a big box of wildflower seeds at Grocery Outlet for $1.50! So excited to toss them everywhere.



Obviously it still looks like shit, but before, you couldn't even see my little chard plants!
We also started a weird little temporary compost area until we have the time/materials to build a proper one.


We also separated the sprouts into a little bigger containers.  They are growing so fast! Cant believe these are now these:


3.Cat power!
I have also been spending some extra time with our kitties. Jules has been acting a lot better since his Vet visit, and Mangy is quickly becoming our cat. He as really come around- when we first moved here, he was super scared of us. Since the neighbors lost their home and abandoned him here, I think he realizes we are all he has, and has been sticking around our house most of the day. He even has recently taken to plopping down by our feet to get belly rubs while we are gardening! A dream boy for sure.



4. Beauty over brains.
Lastly, I treated myself to a badly needed haircut today by Emily at Bella Capelli. Eric is working in San Francisco today, so I didn't have my usual photographer around. I spent a good chunk of the afternoon trying to take pictures of my own hair without much luck. So many hilarious ones came out. I should dedicate a whole entry to bad self-photos. I'll just post a few that aren't too horrible and at least kind of show the cut?







And that brings me to my last time-waster topic-


5.Writing blog entries. I gotta get back to the books. I've only studied for 3 hours today. Ha!

 Hope you have been able to let your hair down and forget what you are supposed to be doing this week! Its good for the soul!


xoxo

5 comments:

  1. wow the hair looks great! i have always said if and when i ever realllly get my hair cut (not counting the tiny random snippets i do at home) i will go to emily. she's so rad. nothing she cuts ever looks "soccer mom-ish"...i decided i want to look "rock-n'roll funky bohemian" rather than polished which i why i am so paranoid to get a real "cut." anyway i am ready for a change. you look great. nothin like wasting time and having good old fashioned fun like drinking pacifico while grilling up sunshiney tacos. you guys should def do a cinco de mayo party. i could make some tempeh tacos fro the veggies, i have a pretty good recipe that marinates in mexican beer and cumin and cilantro. all the good shit!

    three hours of studying is PLENTY!!! jk. i know how it is. 3 hours sounds like a lot but feels like a drop in the bucket when it comes to feeling prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh heather, i miss you. i feel like its been forever since i've seen anyone! tempeh tacos sound bomb too. lets make this happen. but also, i hope we get together before may 5th. thats just a ridiculously long time away (but really, only a month?!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tacos look so good! Tacos are one of my favorites! I love your red hair so much! Also, I think we've already talked about this but Emily cuts my hair and I love her so much! She's the best. Anyways, sorry school is killing you. I can't even take classes for consecutive semesters without having a nervous breakdown... seriously. I have anxiety attacks and just can't work and go to school without freaking out and sooo I really do respect what you go through and wish I could be like you!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey sweet pea, I hope you enjoy your summer when your classes are all done! You deserve some sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ashley, LOVE this post. Also, three hours is enough! Your hair looks amazing. I LOVE the tacos, the sprouts, those placemats (it IS kind of weird...) your new adopted kitty-
    And I hope your teachers gives everyone tons of extra credit points for being there all the days she hasn't been!!!

    ReplyDelete

share a thought!

 
oh, tender! - Blogger Templates, Wordpress Templates Free - by Templates para novo blogger HD TV Watch Entourage Online. Featured on Local Business Singapore